Monday, August 4, 2008

Airline Weight and Size Restrictions

Packing has never been so difficult. I can remember the good 'ol days where you just threw everything into 2 humongous suitcases and 1 carry-on and did not think twice about how large or how much everything weighed.

Well, now, I have had to download American Airlines' baggage policies, go over it with a fine-toothed comb, and take a measuring tape and make sure my bags and bike box fit within their guidelines. And then lug everything over to The Animal Clinic and weigh each item. I even made a copy of the policies, just in case the people at the ticketing counter try to overcharge me.

Luckily, I got my ticket the day before the airlines decided to charge an extra fee for any checked bag. Geez!

I vote for an overall weight limit, which would include your body weight plus that of your luggage. So if you are FAT!!!! then you pay!!!

First, an increase in health insurance. Then, I cannot find clothing that fits. And now, I am getting screwed by the airlines. All this because now the healthy and fit are now the minority!

(Can you tell I am just a little frustrated?)

6 comments:

cathi said...

yikes! i hope everything goes well for you. Frontier has been superb with my last 2 flights with the bike. I hope the luck spilleth over to you!

Unknown said...

You know what really gets me. Trying to buy pants for Jeff. You can find plenty of 42x32, but no 34x36. Scary or what.

More power to you for managing all the pre-race travel planning. I'd be insane!

Roger said...

I feel your pain. Delta has just gone from $150 to $300 per bike, each way international. So, instead of $600 for two bikes, now its $1200. Still sorting out the details to see if the old rules will apply.

Anyway, good luck on your race and enjoy the area. The Canadian Rockies has some of the most spectacular views anywhere!

Lisa said...

YESSS!!! Pay by the total poundage, Person + Luggage! I feel your pain on the clothing sizes...are they going to start making negative sizes so we can find stuff that fits? We're not even THAT small. What do the REALLY skinny people who are 5'0" tall wear?

James Bigler said...

Get one of the fat suits like Eddie Murphy in the nutty professor and stuff your suit with your gear. I set next to a lady on the plane who was too big to get her seat belt to close. I am glad we didn't crash she would have smooshed me.

Neal said...

I remember the good old days...I had an uder bike box that I could load with bike & gear right up to 100lbs (sometimes more)...I could typically sweet talk the "freindly" guys at Delta and just check it in....these days I have 2 sets of bikes NZ&US...the only way to go!

I hope everybody (including your bike) has a safe trip...please keep the blog going!

Good luck & cheers, Neal